Saturday, November 26, 2011

Saturday Night

This morning was the last rehearsal before the Ex'pressions webcast on Monday. Turns out we have about 50 minutes of music - the webcast is an hour so that will give us the opportunity to redo any songs that we. I actually wrote a song last night to take the place of the Bob Dylan song we were doing. It's an Em I-IV-V so I just wrote my own words to it. The title is "A Month Away from Summer" and it fits right in lyrically with the whole "Grimace" concept thing. I'm looking forward to this performance - it will really be the first time I will stand and just sing (I'll play some keyboard, but I'll stand for that too). At the Dylan show and the Kinks show last year I played keyboard but I sat for the performance. It's quite liberating to just sing.

Here is the drawing that inspired "Grimace":


 It's amazing to me that this drawing inspired such a burst of creativity - a burst that hasn't entirely abated. Of course. there are things going on in my life now that are worth writing about - but I wonder if I would have actually written anything if  I hadn't seen this drawing?

We recorded this morning's rehearsal and as soon as I figure how to do it,  I'll post a song or two!

No comments:

Post a Comment