Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Starting

This will be where I'll be posted news and upcoming events!

Monday night I'll be doing a webcast from Ex'pressions College in Emeryville with the Backorders. We'll be performing songs from Grimace, my new album that I haven't recorded yet. I've done a few of these webcasts in the past and they're always a lot of fun. It's supposed to go out at 11pm, but sometimes we get going as early as 10:30. Sam Douglass, who played lead guitar with Jonathan Mann's band, the Rock Cookie Bottoms (I was the drummer) has been playing with us for the past two months. So, besides me (I'm playing keyboard now) and Sam, the Backorders are: Robin Famous (guitar and vocals), Greg Reznick (acoustic guitar and vocals), Mark Stone (bass) and Jim Usher (drums) - basically the same Backorders you've come to know and love over the years only now with a really good lead guitarist.

My nephew Mikey Reznick came over one day earlier this year with his i-pad and drew a cartoon-y line sketch of me, which I immediately claimed for the cover of my next album. This inspired me to begin writing the songs that became - or, will become - the Grimace album. I've been performing the songs with the Backorders for the last several months and we've really grown into them.

Here's a link to the Ex'pressions College webcam. Just click here Monday night to watch the performance.

http://www.expression.edu/sound_arts/webstreaming_camera/

This will be out first outing with Sam on guitar.

On Friday, December 30th (New Year's Eve Eve!) we'll be taking "Grimace" to Berkeley's Starry Plough Nightclub. A band of youngsters from L.A. who call themselves Mojo Stone will be headlining and the opener will be none other than Lizzie Cuevas of the Glowing Stars! The Starry Plough has a special series of shows called "Five Dollar Fridays" - I think it's the last Friday of every month - so not only do you get to see a great show and hear some great music, you get a bargain! We'll be going on at 10:30, give or take.

Julie Bernstein of Funcruch Photo will be documenting the Ex'pressions show. She's a fantastic photographer and I'm looking forward to working with her again. You can check out her work here:

http://funcrunchphoto.com/music

I've also been working at Ex'pressions recording Winter Come and Goes/a which is - will be - an all-acoustic version of my 2009 album Winter Comes and Goes. I've so far got 5 of the 10 songs in various stages of incomplete. The track listing will be a little different because I'm going back to the original group of songs intended for the album. When I did the first version with Eric Kampman producing in '09, some songs were dropped and others were added for various reasons.

Here's a poster for the December show. Thanks to Jim Usher for the design and a very special thank you to my poster girl, May!



Famous House Studio has recently been revamped. I've isolated the drums and Greg and I have set it up for recording - we practice now directly through the board using headphones. It makes for a much clearer - and ear-saving - mix. I should be posting some rehearsal recordings soon.

That's all for now - I hope you'll tune in on Monday night and/or plan on coming out next month to see it happen in person!

No comments:

Post a Comment