Thursday, December 29, 2011

It's Tomorrow

The Starry Plough show is tomorrow. It will be the first and possibly only show for this particular band, which I'm calling the Backorders Social Scene because I'm borrowing a couple of members of Sam's band to fill in for Olga and Greg who were not supposed to be in town for the show. Of course now Olga and Greg WILL be in town, but will not be performing because Ken and Erin - the replacements - have gone through the trouble of learning "Grimace".  Ken will be playing acoustic guitar in Greg's place and Erin will be singing Robin's parts. They are both very much up to the job. Ken is a GREAT drummer, but he's also a very capable guitarist and Erin has a very pleasant and musical voice. Sam will be singing Greg's parts Wew're having a rehearsal tonight.

I will also be playing guitar in Lizzie's set. I'm really excited about this for a couple of reasons: 1. I get to play guitar, which I no longer do in the Backorders 2. I'm learning new songs not of my own choosing that are slightly out of my comfort zone. 3. I get to play with Lizzie, who is just fabulous. We've been practicing for the last couple of weeks here at Famous House Studio and it's coming together nicely. Lizzie and I are even talking about getting a group together - adding a rhythm section to back us up - and  putting together a set and playing out.

Today I'm going to go to Mojo Stone's record store gig in Berkeley and talk to them about backlining the show tomorrow. I know that when bands are on the road they don't like to leave their stuff out in the van so they may insist on using their own equipment. Maybe they'll be willing to share their bass rig if not their drums.  Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear them too. From what I've heard online they're kinda pop/blue/rock.

On the 8th of next month - a Sunday afternoon - I'm returning to Ex'pressions to continue working on the acoustic remake of Winter Comes and Goes. The version I made with Eric back in '09 got away from me a little and the original concept was lost. The one I'm doing now - provisionally titled Winter Comes and Goes/a (I remembered last night that original title was going to be The Recovery and there was actually a title song that was dropped from the track listing) - will be just voice and acoustic guitars (and banjo. yes, banjo. maybe). I'm going to get all the tracks down at Ex'pressions as I can get sessions and later mix it with Greg. That's the plan now, anyway.

Back to tomorrow's show: this was supposed to be my last live performance ever. Back issues, inability to drive, seizure disorder, can't carry my own equipment, can't even really play guitar anymore....all of this has created a situation that makes live performing a daunting endeavor for me. Add to all of that the general slog of putting together a show in the first place - getting a show, getting the entire band to show up - whoops they can't all be there - find substitutes and teach them the songs....I could go on. BUT I've made a commitment to my friend May that I will play at the Plough and Stars in San Francisco in March so that she will have a chance to see me perform the songs that I wrote in her honor. And now of course I want to do some shows with Lizzie.

So, if you are here in Northern California and you're reading this I hope you're coming out to see one of my last live performances - and my only performance with the "Backorders Social Scene" - and my first ever performance with new musical partner Lizzie Cuevas!

Lizzie 'n' me rehearsing at Famous House. Lizzie is playing my Epi Hummingbird and I'm strumming  Woody, my custom-made Strat. For the show I'll be playing my turquoise Epi semi-hollow. Note the "Rock-em Sock-em" t-shirt.


Oh yeah and I've made an early New Years's resolution to get back to work on my historical blog "Every Song". I haven't done a thing with that since September.

No comments:

Post a Comment